Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A bipartisan group of seven governors rejected President Donald Trump’s request to send their states’ National Guard troops to the US-Mexico border because they object to the administration’s policy of separating minor children from asylum-seeking adults.

Democrats Andrew Cuomo of New York, Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island, John Carney of Delaware and Dannel Malloy of Connecticut said they wouldn’t send troops.

Republican Charlie Baker of Massachusetts told the Boston Globe his state won’t provide National Guard troops at the border over the separations.

YOU MISSED THIS?  Racist British hostess sacked for rant against Nigerians racism

Democrat Ralph Northam of Virginia and Republican Larry Hogan of Maryland each went as far as pulling back crews that had been deployed to the Southwest.

In April, Trump directed the departments of Defense and Homeland Security to work with governors to deploy National Guard troops to the border region to assist in security.

The deployments became politically charged in recent days by his “zero-tolerance” practice of splitting up families that enter the country illegally while seeking asylum.

“Until this policy of separating children from their families has been rescinded, Maryland will not deploy any National Guard resources to the border,” Hogan said Tuesday on Twitter.

YOU MISSED THIS?  Alex Iwobi tips Nigeria to break Africa’s World Cup jinx

“Earlier this morning, I ordered our 4 crewmembers & helicopter to immediately return from where they were stationed in New Mexico.”

Trump hardened his resolve to maintain his policy of separating children from parents amid an intensifying backlash from the public and lawmakers.